Tuesday 28 September 2010

No Man Is Rich Enough To Buy Back His Past

Short one day project completed today on the aphorism "No man is rich enough to buy back his past." from Oscar Wilde

I thought of alzheimers disease (and dementia in general) first, mainly as a disease that for want nor money science cannot (yet) cure.

Alzheimer's is the most common form of dementia. This incurable, degenerative, terminal disease is characterised in the long term by confusion, irritability and aggression, mood swings, language breakdown, long term memory loss, and the general withdrawal of the sufferer as their senses decline. Gradually, bodily functions are lost, ultimately leading to death.

An article I had read previously reported on findings that 1% of world gross domestic product (GDP) (£388bn per annum) goes toward paying for the associated costs of dementia, and the number of dementia victims is set to double by 2030 and then triple by 2050.

I kind of thought that putting that kind of number, or a 'cost' on a person or group of people is a bit callous, especially with nothing to compare it to (say the cost of military spending worldwide which stands at £1012bn per annum from one figure I found).

I was reminded by some handy internet people of figures or numbers attached to old people in the past, namely the tattoos of the holocaust survivors (who also fall into the category of people who are at risk or are currently suffering from dementia).

Appropriating this symbol isn't entirely appropriate (no word play intended) but for the purposes of the exercise I think it got the point across well. I hope any people reading this of Jewish descent etc aren't offended, and understand my intentions.

This image is a mock up, something that does not exist. I have no relation to the Alzheimer's Society but you can visit their site at the link, or donate here like I just did.

No comments:

Post a Comment